The South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) has announced that pensioners and disability grant recipients will be paid out on 30 March while all other grant payments will be paid out on 1 April.
This comes as Sassa prepares to launch an electronic application system, aimed at reducing human contact and streamlining processes associated with the new Social Relief of Distress Grant. Sassa revealed that the email and WhatsApp systems were ready to be rolled out, noting the prospective beneficiaries could:
- Send a WhatsApp message to 082 046 8553
- Send an email to SRD@sassa.gov.za
- SMS/USSD: *134*7737#
- Those without access to the internet or smartphones could visit a local Sassa branch for assistance, noting the following daily services:
Monday and Tuesday: Old Age Grants
Wednesday and Thursday: Child Support Grants and Foster Care Grants
Friday: Administration for staff to attend to matters that flow over from previous days
The grant will be available to South African citizens, permanent residents or refugees registered with the Department of Home Affairs over the age of 18 and who are currently unemployed.
Those who are receiving other forms of government assistance, including from the Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF) and the National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS), do not qualify however.
People who live in a government-funded or subsidised institution will also be excluded from benefitting from the relief.
Applications for the grant will also be accepted via WhatsApp and SMS.
According to Business Insider, by Sunday, the WhatsApp number (060-012-3456) did not yet accept grant applications. During a test of the WhatsApp platform recently, 15 000 applications were already received.
The South African Social Security Agency (Sassa) has confirmed that these payments will be made on 15 May.
- Steps to Apply for the R350 Special Covid-19 Grant from Sassa
- How To Apply For The R350 Social Relief Of Distress Grant
- Who Qualifies For The Social Relief Of Distress Grant
- What You’ll Need To Provide Sassa For Verification
- R350 unemployment grant applications are now open via e-mail